Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dean Michael Kardos!


Born on Saturday June 23, 2007 at 6:58pm.

Weight: 7 pounds 4 ounces

Length: 20 1/2 inches



We are all so excited about the arrival of baby Dean. Mom is especially happy that she went into labor on her own Saturday morning and didn't need to be induced on Sunday! Drew is thrilled to be a big brother and gives Dean lots of affectionate kisses and "nice" touches. For those who are interested, I'll share the labor & delivery story below along with an at-home-update.

Labor

Around 2:30am on Saturday I started having some mild contractions. They were about 15 minutes apart, making sleep a challenge, and I lay anxiously awaiting the dawn. I woke Chris up at 5:50 (just as Drew started babbling a bit too) and told him we needed to pack our bags and head out! We were at my mother's house by 7:30am and my contraction seemed to be growing closer together, although the pain was definitely manageable. Chris, Drew and I went for a walk around Bonnet Shores and my contractions grew closer together. We returned to my mom's and sat for a bit...suddenly my contractions eased up a bit and we began to wonder if this was real labor or just braxton hicks/false labor. Still every time I was on my feet they grew in frequency and intensity. At 11am I called the doctor who told me to "Enjoy the day" because if it were real labor my contractions would continue to increase regardless of movement. I decided to lay down while Drew napped - from about 12:15 - 2:15pm - yet still (12 hours after they began) I was having contractions every 8-9 minutes, each lasting about one minute. After resting (who can sleep at a time like this?), Chris and I decided to walk again. Just standing caused me to contract...and when walking my contractions became incredibly painful and quite frequent. By 3pm I had contractions every 2-3 minutes lasting over one minute. We finally went to the hospital.

We arrived at Women & Infants around 4pm and I was nearly in tears with every contraction (Ok, I cried a bit!). I was seen right away and was 90% effaced and 6 cm dialated. I begged for the epidural. They tried to move things along quickly so I could get this beloved pain medicine, and by the time I was in the labor room I was already 9 cm dialated. It took my doctor FOREVER to ok the epidural (apparently he was enjoying the day) so by the time they arrived I was nearly ready to push. I'd had the sensation to push for quite some time and felt no comfort in my deep breathing. The doctor who attempted to administer my epidural was incompetant to say the least. "Is it in the center? Can you feel it? Is it to the left or the right?" I hated to tell her it wasn't centered because I wanted the meds, but she couldn't seem to find the right spot. They kept telling me it would kick in soon enough, but when it didn't she was called back to up the dosage. No luck. In any case, it was time to push...which actually brought some relief. As Dean's head begins to crown I am told to stop pushing while we wait for Dr. NiceDay to arrive. At this point I'm screaming "I need to push!" and within ten minutes of pushing beautiful Dean arrived! (Oh yes, Dr. Slowpoke had arrived.)

We're home!

Before leaving the hospital it was noted that Dean was a bit jaundice. This is common in little ones, but it turns out we have incompatible blood types (I'm O positive and he's B positive) which exasperated the problem of too much billirubin. He received a phototherapy treatment before we left, seemed to be eating well, and we were released. He is now under a "wallaby blanket" which provides the therapy at home. I'm happy to say today his level had dropped (yippee!) so it's improving.

Of course, as with all new babies, we're not getting much sleep. I'm amazed I found time to write this lengthy entry...but it's as much for me (to remember!) as it is to share with everyone. We've been grateful for all the calls & emails, but it's hard to contact everyone individually so I thought I'd share our news with everyone at one time.

Thank you for thinking of us. We can't wait for baby Dean to meet everyone. We're so happy to see our family grow - and to watch our first baby become an amazing big brother!

17 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kardos Family!!
Baby Dean is so lucky to have Drew as a big brother. Go Mommy! You did a fabulous job with the birthing!
Enjoy the boys.

~The McPartlin Family

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Baby Dean!!!!

Congrats to the wonderful Kardos Family!! We are so happy for you all and look forward to meeting your new little addition. Kristen, your a trooper! Take care.

Alisha, Keith and Benjamin:)

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Kristen, Chris and Drew!
We can't wait to cuddle little cutie Dean. So glad to hear that Dean's little blanket is helping and that you're all home.
Alex sends a congratulatory hug to Drew :-).
We're so happy for you all. Dean is one lucky little guy to have such amazing parents and a fabulous big brother.
All our love,
Kathy, Batla and Alex

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! It sounds like you had a great experience minus some pain & Dr.Nicedayslowpoke! Your a tough cookie with little meds., no induction and beautiful baby boy! You can't ask for more than that. We are so proud of you!
Dean couldn't ask for a better big brother (sweet kisses-LOVE) and a couple of fabulous parents. Best of luck adjusting to this new and exciting time in your lives.
We can't wait to meet your new bundle of joy!
Congrats to all of you.
All our best,
Ann, Chad & Lili

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger W/M Animation said...

Congratulations! I can't believe that you are blogging already...I'm so impressed. I will be up there to visit you this month, with your permission. We won't stay with you, but would love to see you!!!!
Love you! Brett

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY for you guys! What a great little family you are! Drew looks so so so big in that picture. I can't wait to get together with you guys after things settle down!
Love,
Dot

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are so happy that Dean is a healthy baby and mom survived. It will be a pleasure to spend some time together soon. Wishing you all the best!
Jenny & Karl

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen, Chris, and Drew,

Congratulations on baby Dean Michael Kardos!!!! Kristen, you are amazing.
I'm hoping that I can get up to Rhode Island sometime in August to see you.

Have fun with your beautiful boys.

Lorna

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray for the latest member of the Kardos clan! I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to meet Dean soon! Wishing you all the best (and a little sleep....)

Love,
Sue

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Rob L. said...

Woo hoo! Welcome to the world, Dean, and congratulations Chris, Kristen, and Drew! We're so happy for you. Nice going on that birth, mama K. Great writeup.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the arrival of the newest member of your family. Hope you are all well. Give the little ones a hug for me.
Love,
Alice

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so excited to have another cutie added to the fam! Kristen we are very proud you brought another healthy baby into the world. You have shown so much willpower and strength. Chris, I am sure you being by her side was worth millions!

Drew you have been promoted to the best big brother in town. See you soon!
Love Tiffany & Alan

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY, I can make that banana bread for you all (let me know what other "treats" you'd like)!!! I'm so happy to hear about the newest addition to your wonderful family! I look forward to meeting Dean when you're ready to have visitors. :)
Love, Auntie Megan

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Cheris said...

Welcome to the world baby Dean! I'm so happy you didn't have to induce and I'm very impressed how tough you are! Enjoy these first weeks because time is about to FLY.
Love, Cheris

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Kardos Family!! We are glad to hear that Baby Dean is doing fine and that Mom is recovering well. We are very happy for you and wish you all the best.

Jim & Lori

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We are so happy to hear about the new addition to the Kardos family. Looking foward to meeting Baby Dean and seeing you as soon as things settle down.

Bethany, Ed and Emma

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all. Glad to hear everyone is healthy and doing great. We send all our love

Elaine and Mary
Kissimmee, Florida

 

Post a Comment

<< Home