Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Update

My two sons...sounds funny still to say that. They are quite different from one another and yet both so remarkably loveable. I always wondered if parents could truly love two children the same; and now I know how much love one heart can hold. It's amazing. Sometimes we have "family hug time" here and Drew will say "again! again!" after each hug. He loves it! I'm a big fan of family hugs too.

Drew is still incredibly helpful when it comes to baby Dean. He tries to calm him when "baby's sad" by rocking him, saying "It's ok baby Dean. I know... It's all right." and he'll even sing "Twinkle Twinkle" for Dean when asked. The challenge really comes for me when I'm nursing -and Drew likes to head for trouble - or when Dean's sleeping and Drew makes a lot of noise. I'm learning to be patient and I always try to see things as Drew does. I'm empathetic to the big change here and how this might be effecting him. Imagine not being able to talk about your feelings?!? How else would you express them...you might just throw a few tantrums.

Dean is still eating like a champ! He's gaining two ounces a day. He weighed in at 8lbs. 12oz. today. Yahoo. The lactation consultant suggested today that I'm actually over-producing milk. Dean nursed for about 5 - 10 minutes (max) and took in 3 ounces. The good news is he's growing well and my supply is great; the bad news is I'm often drowning my son. This big rush of milk often causes more gas for my peanut...making our nights a bit more sleepless. We'll see how things change in the weeks ahead as my body adjusts the milk supply for Dean's needs...and as Dean learns to distinguish night and day. Hopefully we'll soon all be sleeping more.

I'm still enjoying both of my boys. I do find the days a bit exhausting, but I realize every stage is temporary and I'm trying to soak in the beauty of being 2 weeks...and two years. Such wonderful days despite little sleep and frequent cries. I just can't help being in love with ALL my boys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home