Saturday, December 15, 2012

Holiday Cookies

Some people might say I'm crazy (namely, my husband) for making dozens and dozens of holiday cookies each year.  However, I like to bake & decorate them with the kids, give them as presents, offer at holiday parties, and enjoy their sweetness and the memories of past holidays.  What are my favorite things to put on my cookie tray?  Mmmmm....

Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
This year it was Drew who helped me with these...and his favorite part is putting in the kiss after the cookies come out of the oven.  I made a small change and used dark chocolate chips (instead of milk chocolate) and I think they came out fabulously!

Sugar Cookies
These are my FAVORITE to make with the kids.  Melia helped me with this batter - and even cracked all 4 eggs herself!  Usually, because it yield such a big batter and we can't fit so many cookies on one sheet, we roll & cut on one or two nights (maybe freezing some) and decorate on a few occasions as well.  These are so fun because they are canvases waiting for little people to add color and sparkle.  Plus, they're pretty delicious.

Butter Ball Cookies
These remind me of my Auntie Barbara, my godmother, who was called every year for her recipe (before there were baking bloggers, internet searches for recipes, and all that).  THIS was my favorite cookie as a kid...so buttery and sweet.  I think also of my grandmother, Mama, who loved these little sweet bites - walnuts please for her.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yup, these traditional cookies make it on my holiday dish!  Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies; they are nut free; and I am known for making a darn good one :)

Fudge
I like to add fudge, cut into small pieces, for the sweet tooth (me?!?).  It's really easy and so yummy!

Peppermint Bark
THIS year I will be adding peppermint bark to my tray!  As a result, I may skip out on the fudge, bark seems like a good substitute, and I don't think anyone will mind.  My bark will have dark chocolate, white chocolate, and crushed peppermint...sounds perfect!

So, WHY do I make all of these things?

I make these treats because it's one tradition I've had since a little girl...and I would never give it up!  My mom loves to cook, but never enjoyed baking.  I, on the other hand, love to bake (and sorry hubby, I don't love to cook!).  Once I was old enough to ask for recipes and bake, I began collecting recipes and baking holiday treats.  ME!  And now I'm enjoying these recipes with my children.  Usually when I bake my recipes are full of healthy substitutions...but when it comes to Christmas Cookies I don't mess with tradition!  I love the way these cookies taste; I love seeing them enjoyed by friends and family; and I love the excitement that baking them brings to my three little ones.

Merry Christmas!


2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Chelley said...

OMG! You're lucky I didn't see this sooner... Or I would be rolling my butt into group Monday!!

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like you can play2048 doge free online.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home