Sunday, May 16, 2010

Co-Sleeping Conundrum

I am constantly evolving as a mom. Perfect example: Drew slept in a bassinet in our room while we lived at my mom's house, but moved to his own room as soon as we settled in our new home (he was 2 months old). For Dean, I set up the arm's reach co-sleeper (mini crib) and he would sleep there, in the swing, on my chest until he was about 3-4 months old. Then he too moved into his own room with his own crib. Melia, now 4 1/2 months, is exclusively sleeping in my bed. I'm co-sleeping! I never would've thought I could've lasted this long, but Melia is so easy to sleep with! I remember Dean grunting and snorting, keeping me up all night, but Melia is a quiet, calm sleeper. When she's sleeping, that is!

Here's the conundrum: I love co-sleeping with Melia. I love seeing her smiling face first thing every morning. I love knowing she's right there beside me all the time. I love that when she wants to nurse I just pop her on, without having to go get her or worry about putting her back down. However, I feel that my presence is taking away her ability to self soothe. Melia wakes anywhere from two to five times a night (seriously!) and I end up nursing -or giving her a pacifier- every time. Could I be responding too quickly to her small fusses? Definitely. Could I let her work it out? Maybe. Why don't I? Because I'm right there! I don't want her to cry; and I don't want to lie there wondering if she's going to fuss or sleep.

So, I wonder. Are there any co-sleeping, breastfeeding moms out there whose babies sleep through the night? That's what I really want to know. Does everyone respond as quickly as I do...encouraging babies to expect to nurse all night? I don't need her to sleep 12 hours...or even 8 hours, but it sure would be nice to sleep a 4-6 hour stretch again. I just wish I could achieve this while STILL co-sleeping...because I love sleeping with Melia.

(early morning photo)

1 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger cheris said...

I don't have any advice for you; both mine were never quiet sleepers and we all were relieved to have our own beds at 3 months.
I don't know how you keep co-sleeping from being an all-night-all-you-can-eat-buffet. I've never talked to anyone who figured it out. The people who were the most happy with co-sleeping just didn't mind the snacking and mostly didn't even wake up. I don't know how they did it!
But you're right, it sure has its sweet moments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home