Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Demolition: The act or process of wrecking or destroying, especially destruction by explosives.


Yesterday Drew and I watched the demolition of the old Jamestown Bridge. It was an awesome site to see; and while the crowd cheered I found myself feeling a little saddened by the whole event. Since when is destroying something a celebration? My view was from a distance, but I could see the explosion and the collapse with great clarity. I couldn't help but be reminded of the only other time I saw the collapse of a structure that stood for years. Both fell straight to the ground leaving behind a trail of dust. Both happened in mere seconds, but the shock -or awe- lingered. I wish I had been celebrating, but instead I just absorbed another moment in history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home