Monday, July 10, 2006

Anyone that knows my mother knows she is a saint. I'm not using that word lightly - it's true.

Mama said to me last week, "Kristen, you are a carbon copy of your mother."
I replied, "I'm not as good as her."
To which she replied, "No, you're not. But you're getting there."

A good example of Mama - telling it how it is. She likes to keep it real.


Last night, the night before her surgery, she said I'd become as good of a daughter as my mother was. She is so proud of me. With the bar set so high by my saint of my mother and the usually unrealistic expectations of Mama, it felt so good to know I made her proud.

I think the last two weeks have changed me. The serious condition of Mama coupled with the loss of our beloved Golden Retriever, Marley, has forced me to re-assess my priorities. I am definitely putting family first. In addition to being a support for my mom and Mama, I am realizing (once again) what an amazing husband I have. I am not only praying out of need, I'm praying in appreciation. Chris has been so wonderful: caring for Drew, taking care of things around the house, listening to my worries, and comforting me. He doesn't have any answers to make things better, and he doesn't pretend to. He just listens and loves. Such an incredible man.

I went to church this past Sunday too. I think Marley's death pushed us all a bit closer to the edge and I am reaching out for something/anything that might help. I told Mama I went to church to pray for her and she said, "I've been praying to the blessed Mother that you'd return to church (for the baby)." And I said, "Your prayers to the blessed Mother are always answered! I hope mine are too!"

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Brettnik said...

What a beautiful post...you hang in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home