Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pre-school genius


I struggled quite a bit getting used to pre-school. While it's true that DREW was adjusting well, I was not. It's not that I couldn't bare to have three hours apart from him (in fact, that was rather welcomed!), it's that I wanted to be REALLY sure that he was at the right school. As obsessive as I was when searching for a pre-school, I was equally crazed about whether I had chosen well.

I wondered...
Was Drew connecting with other kids? Making friends?
Was he engaging in the activities?
What was he choosing to do during the open play?
Did he participate in circle time?
Was he building relationships with the teachers?
Was he happy???


My concerns were all "normal"...right?

Well, we're about 4 weeks into it and I can tell you this: While he isn't sharing every detail of each day with me (which is hard for me to accept!), he has learned sooooo much.

*Yesterday at nap time I could hear him talking to himself:
"Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...what day is today? I think it's Tuesday? Yeah, it is. It's Tuesday?" (It was actually Monday, but that's beside the point.)

*Although he already knew all the letters before he entered school, he now knows all the sounds and what words begin with each letter. At breakfast a week ago he said:
"I like apples. Apple. Apple begins with A. Aaaa... Apple."

*And one of the biggest changes is that he is interested in spelling things!! In the bathtub he'll take the bath-letters and put them together and sound them out. Often they don't really make a word, but we switch a few so they do and he'll sound it all out. LIKE READING!! It's pretty amazing.

*Finally, GOOD manners have been learned. The other night he actually brought his dish from the table to the sink. He asks for a paper towel if he spills something. And he is much better about cleaning up, respecting personal space, and putting things where they belong.

GO PRE-SCHOOL!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home